Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Joy Of Analog Tape Edits

















I'm sure you've noticed that lately I've been going through a lot of radio shows and posting up highlights from various broadcasts. If all goes according to plan, this will continue on a regular basis. Instead of posting 90 minute MP3s every day, however, I'd like to keep it more focused on the amazing bits-and-pieces that really stand out to me. Who's going to keep my blog window open for 90 minutes anyways... it's always a bitch when you accidentally navigate away from a window, momentarily forgetting it was open because you've been listening to something there for 45 minutes.

I've always been super fascinated by the people who mastered analog tape editing before the rise of the digital age. The number one duo that was simply killing the edits in NYC in the Eighties was the Latin Rascals, Albert Cabrera and Tony Moran.












Producers/DJs Albert Cabrera and Tony Moran -- collectively known as the Latin Rascals -- got their start as movers and shakers on the budding early-'80s New York City club scene, hosting an influential continuous-mix show on local dance radio. The duo went on to mastermind a number of Latin freestyle dance tracks, including work for TKA and the Cover Girls, among others.

Although this footage (below) is not of a Latin Rascals edit, this will give you an idea of how much work went into tape edits. See all that white tape? Those are all individual edits made manually with tape and a razor.

80s tape cuts played back on a ReVox B77, using Maxell tape, BASF PW 384 stickers -


I'd say my favorite moment from the Latin Rascals on record came in the form of the edits they did to K-Rob's I'm A Homeboy -


As for my favorite moment from the duo on the airwaves, I'd say it's their edit of Whodini's 5 Minutes of Funk. Here it is from a New Years 1985 broadcast. Unfortunately, it is incomplete. If I find a better quality version as I go through my collection, I'll be sure to post it!

Latin Rascals x Whodini - 5 Minutes of Funk (Edit!) -


Here's another piece of the New Years broadcast, featuring mixes of T La Rock It's Yours, Kurtis Blow AJ and Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde's AM /PM -

Latin Rascals - New Years 1985 -


I'll post more on the Latin Rascals in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment