Thursday, April 23, 2009

Because... YOU'RE MINNNNNNE!

Here's some rare footage of the man himself, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, doing his classic, "I Put A Spell On You."  



I always like to do a little trivia, so who can tell me what movie this performance is from?  Let me just take this opportunity to make fun of something (damn, I thought I wasn't going to be using this blog to do that).  

"Trivia contestants are competing for what's most important... respect!"

Sounds lame, right?  No prize?  What a dick!  But holllld up, I jacked that ridiculous phrase from the new Common "Gladiator" Remix Contest.  Check the jpeg flyer (towards the bottom)


Have fun competing for respect, producers!  Am I missing something here?  I admit, I didn't study the rules, but you don't even get your remix featured on a single or project?  You don't even get a couple bucks for the cab fare home?  I mean, you HAVE to be at the event in LA to enter?  Is this the recession in full effect?

  What's gonna happen there... is Common gonna watch you "do your thing"?  That'd just be awkward, if he's going to be as lethargic as he appears below.  He's looking like Dwight Schrute with the tight long sleeves in that new "The Office" episode.




 Like Common says so enthusiastically at the end of the clip, "Let's Go"

Watch it... it had me cracking up.

Sorry Petey Wheatstraw from the South Side of Chicago, you got many classics under your belt, but this is too easy to rag on.  Hell, with the level of success he's attained, he probably isn't so excited to hear a new fresh and dope beat for a contest he probably didn't even put together. I'm an ass.  I don't wanna be on some hardcore bloggin' where I nitpick artists... I'm an artist, for Christ's sake... gotta snap out of it!

Okay, here we go-

This is the original Hawkins "I Put A Spell On You," used by a certain someone for a certain something.  I'd get more specific, but that certain someone hates shit like that... 

... and yes, I don't want to be part of the demographic of people he's pissed at and has called out on various skits throughout his career.



 I'm kind of realizing if you're not really into some of the stuff I'm talking about in this post, none of it is making sense.  I'm acting like a little bitch right now.  I'm acting real paranoid and shit. And I bolded that for no reason.

5 comments:

  1. There doesn't seem to be an award for this thing. It's like -- make the beat, Common thinks it's cool -- go home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't know what movie that's from but there's some a great use of screamin jay hawkins in jim jarmusch's stranger than paradise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check that out flycliches!

    ReplyDelete