Sunday, July 5, 2009

You Think We'll Ever Meet Stevie?


This is for anybody who is a Beastie Boys fan but not an intense Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 fan.

3:25 in (above)...

"You think we'll ever meet Stevie? One of these days, D!"























The origins of this line lie in the Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 track, Dreamin', found on The Message album. A passionate ballad for the boy Stevie Wonder, Dreamin' is certainly the track that withstood the test of time better than any Furious tune. Certainly much more than the title cut off the album. Dreamin' is as poignant today as when it was first released in 1982.

"Taking walks in the park, getting closer to your heart, is all we want to do"


Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five- Dreamin' (Isolated Part)-



Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five- Dreamin' (Full)-























Alright, so I'm being a dick. I LOVE the Furious 5, and Raheem can sing his ass off. You can find me rapping along to most of their records when they're cued up. Hell, I'll even try to keep up with the open party track.

Hey Sal!

Yeah, we party allll the time!


...etc., etc....

Actually, I think Cowboy's sister, Neicy, was on a lot of those party tracks that Sugar Hill liked to put on their 12"s. Jayquan from the Tha Foundation, who has put in many years documenting stories from the pioneers of hip hop, has an article remembering Cowboy, where Neicy shines some light on this:


J: Did you ever go to the studio while they were recording?

N: Yes. We met Joey & Sylvia Robinson.

J: It always sounded like a party in the background of those records , and I wondered if that was family members or what.

N: Yeah , my mother and I























I also am a dick for not posting the real Pass The Mic video above. Here it is:



And here's an unrelated Bad Brains track. Or is it? You tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment