Monday, February 22, 2010

Raheem Jamal
















To continue running down the line leading up this show on Wednesday, I wanted to give some shine to another performer sharing the bill with Dagha and myself... Raheem Jamal.

Over the years, Raheem and I have gained a friendship out of being on the same label, but he knows I've been a fan of his since way back when I first heard him set it off on the Electric track, Respect Life.

Electric- Respect Life (From Life's A Struggle) -

















(Raheem Jamal, left. Raydar Ellis, right)

Also around that time, I caught Project Move's debut track on 7L and Beyonder's Vinyl Thug Music. Alongside emcees Anonymous and Moe Pope, the trio would release a dually titled full-length in 2006, Love Gone Wrong / The Butterfly Theory. Here's one of the title tracks:

Project Move- The Butterfly Theory -

























It was during Raheem's work on his solo debut, Boombox, that I really started to get to know him. Entirely produced by Raydar Ellis, the beats on this album are a perfect marriage to Raheem's subject matter and emotion. I was lucky enough to be a fly on the wall for some of these recording sessions, and have great memories of witnessing their chemistry and excitement first hand during the making of this record.

Raheem Jamal- Live It Up -



Raheem Jamal- The Thang -



Oh yeah, and that's Anonymous doing the uncredited bugging out on Live It Up. He'll be in the building Wednesday as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment